Thursday, October 20, 2011

In Writing: Writing a Book is not Easy

So I just finished and published a book this past week, and I realized it wasn't easy to write.  I went ahead and self published through fastpencil.  One thing I learned is it's difficult to write a lot on one subject.  My first book only has 72 pages and even though I feel I made my point in it, I don't see how people can write thousands of pages.  I guess it's a learning thing.  The more I get used to writing the longer a future book that I write might be.  But I know that it takes time and patience to get it done.  Now my next goal will be to actually get it marketed and sold.

The book was written on leadership.  A topic that has always interested me.  I've noticed that being a leader is a lot easier said then done.  Something I noticed while writing my book.  Writing it made me take a look at myself as a leader and helped me see areas where I've fallen short.  I put examples of other people that were both good and bad leaders in there however in the end I had to focus on how I measured up as a leader and realized that I have some ways to go until I become the leader that I want to be.  I guess that's why in writing my book I couldn't really put any directions in what you should do but just sort of wrote is as a testimony of what I've noticed.

The writing process wasn't as difficult as far as just letting the words pour onto the page.  However it was difficult in wanting to make it something that was long and drawn out and super deep.  This will definately be a growing process.  Although writing a book has never been something that I've wanted to do before, it is definately something that I'm interested in now.  I'm kind of interested to see the response if any to my book.  That might help me with future books.  Next time I won't just jump into it, I'll have to plan and focus on each chapter individually.

I also learned that I must reread the book multiple times before releasing it.  It's crazy how you don't notice any errors until after it's already published and you're reading your own ebook in the iBook app on  your iPhone.  It's fun how that happens.  Next time I might even have a few people look over it for me to see what they noticed.  I can admit to being a little impatient to get it out, however I did look over it quite a few times, but apparently not enough.  If any of you are interested to look at my book feel free to read it and let me know what you think

The link is
http://www.fastpencil.com/publications/3152-Lessons-Learned

I made it super cheap to begin with.  Hopefully that will draw readers in.  Also if you have any suggestions on how to get my book out there more as far as advertising or marketing.  This whole writing thing is new to me.  But I'll learn as I always do.

Patrick Forbes

No comments:

Post a Comment